So I’m starting a new series on K-pop inspired recipes! Yay! I’ve just always loved baking and I was thinking to myself the other day about what would make good post ideas, and I came up with the idea to do blue orangeade popsicles after the TXT song. It’s a recipe that’s easy, customizable, and popsicles are a perfect treat for summer. As soon as I had that idea, I figured I could make dozens more recipes, inspired by songs, groups, albums, and even music videos. With that said, I’m excited to kick off everything with these delicious and refreshing Blue Orangeade Popsicles!
There are two schools of thought about orangeade: the lemonade lovers and the orange soda purists. I found several recipes for orange-lemonade when I was planning out my ingredients and I didn’t really feel like any of them were quite right for my purposes. I was also fighting against a big issue: oranges are…well, orange.
Thankfully, I found this incredible YouTube channel, y.na_homecafe, and they made blue lemonade with Blue Curacao-colored ice cubes. I thought the shade on the ice cubes was perfect for what I wanted and I knew my popsicles would look stunning with that color. Of course, it helped that Blue Curacao syrup is flavored with orange bitters, so I wouldn’t have to try too hard to make my popsicles orange flavored.
Unfortunately, I wildly overestimated the syrup’s ability to sweeten the popsicles on its own. Thankfully, I had also purchased a blue cream soda (in the event that the Blue Curacao wasn’t the quite right shade of blue) and I poured a splash of that into the mix. Not only did that sweeten it up without making it cloying, but it also added a nice cream soda-y flavor that made the whole thing taste more like an orange creamsicle.
The end result of all my experimentation is something like an orange creamsicle-flavored La Croix. The flavor is not terribly strong, but as someone who isn’t particularly fond of strong flavors in popsicles anyway, that’s not necessarily a bad thing. Of course, the beauty of this recipe is that you can make it entirely your own so if you want it to scream orange flavor, you can absolutely make it do that.
So without further ado, let’s get into the recipe!
- About a cup of club soda
- A dash of blue cream soda (or simple syrup)
- A splash of Blue Curacao syrup
- 2 to 3 drops of orange extract
- An orange, peeled and sliced, for decoration
- Popsicle mold
- Pour your club soda into a tall and wide drinking glass. If you have a bar cart mixer, that will probably work better.
- Pour in your cream soda or simple syrup and orange extract. Taste and adjust flavor as necessary. If more orange flavor is needed, use added orange extract. If more sweetness is needed, add more cream soda or simple syrup.
- Finally, splash in the Blue Curacao syrup. You will not need much to tint the entire mix, but you can add more if you want the color to be more concentrated.
- Pour the mix into the popsicle mold. Take the sliced orange and place them carefully in with the liquid. Seal popsicle mold and place in freezer.
- Leave popsicles in freezer overnight. Remove from mold when ready and enjoy!
What do you guys think of this recipe? Would you try it? Let me know in the comments!